Posts

Showing posts from May, 2015

OBI drops outbound calls - setup sysloging to help figure it out

My OBI-100 drops outbound calls usually right at 16 minutes. First thing I noticed there was some stale config on the OBI device. When I thought Google Voice (free) was going away I paid for another VOIP provider. Today I noticed there was some stale config related to the old VOIP provider related to keepalive server config. I restored all of that to default. So hopefully that will fix the problem. But then I wanted to setup syslog for my obi device and also to direct those logs to their own file.


On Linux host which is on same LAN open up /etc/rsyslog.conf and uncomment the below lines:
# Provides UDP syslog reception #$ModLoad imudp #$UDPServerRun 514
# Provides TCP syslog reception #$ModLoad imtcp #$InputTCPServerRun 514
(i.e. remove the hashes in red).
  2. In /etc/ryslog.conf add the following lines just before the indicated lines (assuming that OBI is at 192.168.1.2). Notice that the & ~ line will discard the message so it won't also end up elsewhere.
#For OBI if $fromhost-ip s…

Fedora 22 upgrade - Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS Unable to mount root FS on unknown-block(0 0)

Image
After upgrading from Fedora 21 to Fedora 22 I experienced a kernel panic on booting into the new, 4.0.2 kernel with the message given in the title "VFS Unable to mount root FS on unknown-block(0,0)".

Long story short - looking into /boot there was the vmlinuz kernel, vmlinuz-4.0.2-300.fc22.x86_64, but no corresponding initramfs-4.0.2-300.fc22.x86_64.img file. Also in the grub.cfg stanza there was a missing reference to the .img file i.e.
initrd16 /initramfs-4.0.2-300.fc22.x86_64.img
was missing.

Again, in the interest of brevity, I ran dracut manually on the 4.0.2 kernel and it errored - complaining about "no module bootchart found".

(Bootchart is a package I had installed previously that attempts to measure or profile time spent during booting - I'm assuming that F22 dracut does not have the needed support.)

Fortunately Dracut has an option to ignore arbitrary modules e.g. bootchart with the parameter -o.

So the fix was ultimately to do something like:

#dracut …